Parents and Technology
Kevin Sherrill: https://todaysmeet.com/wsfcstffeb2014
Steven Anderson's Notes: February Technology Facilitators Meeting-Notes and Wrap-Up
Steven Anderson's Notes: February Technology Facilitators Meeting-Notes and Wrap-Up
- New tech facilitator: John Palison, orchestra teacher
- Michael: Last meeting, accepted position with Forsyth Tech
- John Hoff: senior system admin (filling Chris position) from Yadkin country schools
- Looking for big money to start classroom solution finish up and computer refresh
- Kevin needs our help:
- Does not have an accurate count of classroom solutions
- Needs clear count to give to Dr. Emory
Online form: http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/solutionsurvey
- Due Feb 21st
- Kevin may send a spreadsheet back to you to confirm numbers
- Any aging/technical problems put that in the "other notes"
- Classroom Solution Survey-include Media Center
- Anything with kids in them learning
- She has received a lot of emails with questions about people not on the list—shoot Carla Miller with an email and she will go back to HR to confirm if you still have questions
- Home School of Employee gets the laptop for shared employees.
- Returning the laptops/Pick up process:
- A school with 35 or less laptops, They would like to have back by the end of Feb
- 36 or more laptops then by the end of March
- Some have been pinked slip—she realizes it
- Remove any labels
- Remove AD names—shoot those lists to Carla
- Email her if you have missing power supplies
- FYI, They will be re-imaging all of the laptops and then redeploy.
- By Monday, the spreadsheet will be available
- Go to Webportal
- Tech facilitators
- Information for tech facilitator
- Request for information’choose school level/code
- Spring 2014 Surplus pickup
- Rules have not changed (non working/non functional equipment, except TV’s)
- Click on arrow down, and check out
- Then double click on spreadsheet
- Provide as much info as possible
- Due February 28th
- Wants to get pick-ups done before testing
- Please walk with the recycle guy through the school to the pick up location
Kevin: Computers stacked up in the back of rooms?
- Either need to get online or surplus if not working
- Anyone with a network running slower than you think it should, Kevin wants to know about it
- Maybe switch issues, uplink issues?, etc.
- He wants to troubleshoot that
- Mention to principals—About not surplusing working machines.
- Techs wearing kaki’s and sport shirts now
Update on Projects:
- IP phone rollouts:
- Started with 37 schools that needed phones
- Doing three to four per month and hopefully finish up by late April
- Just replacing front office phones, No classroom phones are being replaced
- Bogen phones still maintenance department responsibility
- Some trailer and pod issues with phones—look at those situations individually
- Webportal replacement
- Looking to go live around spring break time
- Will go over in the coming months
- Will be a lot more than file sharing
- Cloud interaction with apps, etc.
- Coincides with MMC/BYOD programs
- New domain for students
- Don’t want to mix student emails with staff email/address books etc.
- Long string domain: Wsfcsstudents
- First middle initial last name and maybe few student numbers (still settling on that) @wsfcsstudents
- 3rd grade and up?
Bring Your Own Device
- Wiley/Atkins and Glen
- Starting go live with those schools first
- Will turn student email on at that time
- Redistributing the Student Responsible Use agreements to everyone after spring break for official sign off by parents (will start with those schools implementing MMC live first)
- Want to get some more instructional use out of those mobile devices
- Reminder about not sharing confidential data will be in the employee sign off
- May post the AUP on teacher webportal
Wiring Closet Inventory:
- Going closet by closet to assess situation - have to maintain them as they age.
- Some switch gear is approaching end of life (money for that?—who knows)
- They have identified 5 different students at three different schools (SE MS, Glenn and another)
- Testing mobile devices and wants feedback from the students who are testing
- 131x laptops
- Galaxy tablet
- MS surface with windows 8 (have detachable keyboards, etc)
- Ties into the decision of what to replace PC's .
- Kicking off on Feb 14th
- If they break it or drop it, it’s on Kevin
- Will be completed at the end of March
- Firmly believe it’s not one device that will fit all
- Will take the data and come to some conclusions
Grumbling about browsers
- Hopefully come up with a best practices cheat sheet
- Issues especially for teacher assistants (who don't have new laptops and can't use client email)
Two articles on Knowledge Base in KACE:
104—for installing client: http://ithelp.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/userui/advisory_detail?ID=104
106—for resetting browsers: http://ithelp.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/userui/advisory_detail?ID=106
Service Desk Issues
- Remind teachers that we are the first line of support
- Front office don’t tell teachers to call the help desk
- Over 120 tickets over 120 days owned by you (clean those up)
- Natalie Gilliam: Sue Albertson from East Forsyth -- Thoughts and cards for her.
- Living in PA, treatment in NY (Been there from Nov)
- Description Fields in AD: goes back to machines not logged into the network
- If you have machines that don’t populate the machine information, get those on a ticket
- Get our thoughts on ideas for PD (speak up survey)
- Instructional tech page
- New RUA, piece of verbage giving permission to teacher to create accounts on the part of the student
- For example, education versions of Animoto and glogster okay for students under 13, but not regular versions—instructional technologists are good sources of information.
Results of Speakup Survey:
- Between 400-500 teachers completed it
- Most teachers say they are average or advanced users
- Biggest problems teachers say:
- Not internet access at home
- Lack of computers in school for students to use
PD for teachers
Tech facilitator: Table discussion -- ideas of how to help teachers with professional development
- Pinterest group for teachers?
- Direct Link To This Document: http://bit.ly/febtfpd
- Differentiation of PD is a district wide problem.
- A needs assessment with the teachers is important
- Tech Facilitators can do things individually with teachers,” you don’t know what you don’t know”—TPAC
- SAMR model?
- Teachers still feel unprepared for Common Core:
- There are still teachers not teaching the common core
- 1 hour model PD is not effective, but PLC model may not always be effective either?—many factors
- 7 Tech Facilitators covering 80 some school
- They need to find the most effective way to meet the needs of teachers
- Tech Facilitators learning to be instructional coaches more effectively
- Principals who went through TLC :
- Principals need to be viewed as instructional leaders
- We need to focus on why is something the best tool not what is the best tool (MLC training)
- Try to bridge the gap with curriculum people in C/O
- PRC money is bringing back the science teachers for more training on the one to one classroom
- If time is a factor, how can we gain that time?
- There is no one solution for time problem—find creative solutions
- STEM: Science Technology Engineering and Math
- Piney Grove Steam lab? (Steam—throw in ART)
- Brian Piekarski an expert on Photo Shop
- Evan's expertise is social media
- Teachers are not always telling us what they need, maybe afraid to vocalize their deficits, also—“Don’t know what they Don’t know”
- Student Achievement not number one on Steven's list, looking at effective teaching is
- Identifying high quality digital content and how to find it
- Conference style workshops?
- Understand the importance of technology
- Table conversations:
- Ideas for parent involvement
- Direct Link To This Document: http://bit.ly/febtfparents
- videos for parents?
- makes more sense to come from central office ?
- Facebook page/twitter for the parents to follow?
- Difficult to get parents in the building/but provide opportunities during the day and night
- Come in before the school day ends?
- Let them use technology (use the clickers)
- Working on digital resources for parents
- Offer food
Staff Devlopment Opportunity March 22
Guy from Discovery and can dress up in the Renaissance
Kevin Sherrill: Recap:Classroom solution surveys to be completed
Surplus equipment by end of February