The following are my notes from the North Carolina Technology in Education Conference (NCTIES) this Year. It was excellent as always, and I am trying to wrap my head around what were the top things I learned:
My Current Top 5 things from the conference (this is tentative--I will probably discover more and discount others as I read more thoroughly through my notes!)
1) Tammy worcester is always a great speaker to attend, and I have already incorporated two things from her session on adding gadgets to a blog : (I added a google translate widget and also "a page/tab" (I added the note on spam from this week's TBT as a separate page/tab since I get a lot of questions on that from parents) to our tjms weekly memo blog --that was exciting! But Tammy's section on widgets is what I really want to go through in more detail.
2) E-readers: My friend, Jennifer Lagarde gave a great presentation on E-books ( http://lib-girl.blogspot.com/2011/03/hooked-on-ebooks-presentation-for.html ) , and it inspired me to at least try them at my school--She provided some great resources ( http://edukindle.ning.com/ ) that are already out there and how people are using them. I have written a donor's choose grant, and am going to "keep on" my EC teachers to try the same :)
3) The session on Prezi reminded me how cool of a presentation resource Prezi is, and I want to revisit Prezi with teachers, and show them some of the cool new features that have been added recently.
4) Things I really want to try or revisit these tools (okay I know this raises my "top 5" to more):
- http://www.rockmelt.com/ (platform for managing your
- browser/feeds, etc)
- http://mckeon.edu.glogster.com/ncties-presentation/ (want to revisit with my 6th and 7th grade)
- http://www.formatoz.com/ (suggested by Barbara Sasso for converting youtube videos and other video formats to ones that will work with movie maker)
- http://primarypad.com/ (place to take notes in the cloud)
I will be sharing more in the weeks and months to come!